Friday, September 11, 1992

elements

you and me
how much of my life begins with you and me?
though our first love fails
I search the sky for you, I name
the sun after our love,
I admire the moon for its’ coldness and grace
and see in the unattainable stars
everything I lack.

The world somehow does not end.

I strike a rock with another rock, hoping
that a spark will jump
and a fire will start
but all I get is broken rocks.

I spend time learning how to make armor
as well as I used to make jewelry.
Weighted, I am pulled down

Imagining the vastness of the ocean
makes my body rock back and forth, makes
me despair
for the eternity and depth of wisdom.

Time is not kind
but I survive with strengthened dignity
and when we touch again
I am ready.

I stare into a fire
laid around with stones
that were dredged from a river.
It hypnotizes me with its dances
laying low when fuel is scarce
but jumping higher when the wind picks up…

I see the place where our love survives.

No comments: