Saturday, December 23, 1989

safe

The sometimes rain became harsh,
threw down some lightning
and a wave of crippling thunder
You stood in the wind and called for me
I flew to you, to keep you safe
Your face said you were strong
and you would bear the weight of the sky
but I still woke up with your tears on my shoulder
during the warm dark pain of night
The dream said you would fly across the water
and pass through the storm to find me waiting

Exploring you I find bare jewels
and steel cases and long lists of special words
and giggles tied together with white ribbon
and tiny poisonous snakes
There is something in your tight little fist that I may never see
sometimes I pry gently
I am not patient

The next night the sky is clear and the moon is bright
I tell you what I want
and you tell me to wait, though I reach with my words
My skin tingles with your remembered touch
and kisses of cold breeze
I reveal myself to you through my voice and my caress
noticing the advancing clouds
I bring you to me, into my arms
the tide of words subsides

No comments: